The Welding Institute

Other Professional Registrations

There are a number of ways you can enhance your professional status, either through study or applying for additional professional registrations. Three key internationally recognised schemes are described below.

If you need further help or assistance with this please contact the Professional Membership Office who will be happy to offer guidance or point you in the right direction. International Professional Engineer (IntPE),  International Engineering Technologist (IntET) and International Engineering Technician (IntETn) must be applied for via your main Professional Engineering Institution. EUR ING must be applied for directly with Engineering Council. 

EUR ING title (Engineers Europe)

Engineers Europe is officially recognised by the European Commission as representing the engineering profession in Europe.  The EUR ING title delivered by Engineers Europe is designed as a guarantee of competence for professional engineers, in order to facilitate the movement of practicing engineers within and outside Engineers Europe's member countries.

Engineers Europe establishes a framework for mutual recognition of qualifications in order to enable engineers who wish to practice outside their own country to carry with them a guarantee of competence.

For more information about the EUR ING title costs of application, please visit Engineering Council website. Applications for EUR ING must be done online via Engineers Europe - EUR ING Application 

International Professional Engineer (IntPE), International Engineering Technologists (IntET) and International Engineering Technician (IntETn)

The IntPE (UK) qualification is open to UK-registered Chartered Engineers whereas the IntET (UK) is open to UK- registered Incorporated Engineers and the IntETn is open to UK-registered Engineering Technicians. For either qualification the following requirements must be met 

  • an accredited degree recognised under the International Accords, or equivalent academic qualification
  • the competence for independent practice as an engineering technologist as exemplified by the International Engineering Alliance competency profile
  • at least seven years post-graduate experience
  • at least two years responsibility for significant engineering work
  • maintaining continuing professional development

In addition to the benefits gained from a CEng/IEng/EngTech qualification IntPE/IntET/IntETn offers: 

  • letters after your name, eg J. Smith CEng IntPE/IntET/IntETn (UK)
  • easier admission to National Registers of IntPE/IntET/IntETn register member jurisdiction

For more information about the IntPE qualification, click here

For more information about the IntET qualification,  click here

For more information about the IntETn qualification, click here

The Welding Institute

Granta Park, Great Abington, Cambridge CB21 6AL, UK

   +44 (0)1223 899000

Copyright © 2024 TWI Ltd. All rights reserved.

Privacy Policy