As a professional member, you may be eligible to register with the Engineering Council as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech).
The benefits of registering with the Engineering Council include:
- identifying you as having competences that employers value
- indicating that your competence and commitment to professionalism have been assessed by other engineering professionals
- demonstrating that your competence may be compared with standards applicable in other parts of the world
- confirming that your commitment to professionalism is underwritten by the support of a national engineering institution or society licensed by the Engineering Council
- international recognition of your qualification.
Engineering Council registration is open to anyone who can demonstrate the required professional competences and commitment. These requirements are set out in Engineering Council UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) document, and are developed through your education and working experience.
Any academic or vocational qualifications you hold will determine which route to registration is open to you. If you hold one of the exemplifying qualifications, you can proceed via the standard route to registration. Without such qualifications, you may proceed via the individual route. If you have a qualification at a suitable level, but haven't yet acquired the required experience and competences, then you may wish to seek interim registration via your membership of The Welding Institute
The benefits of registering are also explained in this Engineering Council YouTube video.
To start your journey towards registration, submit an application for professional membership and Engineering Council registration.
If you already hold IEng or CEng registration, you may wish to consider other professional registrations such as Eur Ing (CEng only), IntPE (CEng) or IntET (IEng).
The Welding Institute is also licensed by the Engineering Council to map and accredit qualifications from universities, technical colleges and other training providers. For more information visit our accreditation services page.
If you have any questions or would like some help, contact our Membership Office or view the eBooks below containing further information on CEng, IEng and EngTech registration.